Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Are We Really Strong?

Last night I finished reading a book, written by a friend.  

Drakelyn Martin, the Hero of the story is a federal agent, a strong government man, both physically and emotionally, used to stress and bloodshed. The Love, Nichole, is a small young woman who has been tortured for her faith and is in danger everyday. A one point towards the end of the story, Drake was beaten down and defeated. He thought of the woman he loved and all she'd endured and he wondered how she could be so strong. 

What did she have that he didn't?

The answer? God. 

That really hit me. How many times have I thought, I have to hold it together. Stay strong. Don't think. Don't feel. No crying. Quite a few times. Like, all the time actually. 

But by trying to hold it together all on my own, I'm weak. I feel weak. I've told God, "I want to be strong. Why can't I be strong?" 

I can't be strong by my own power. MY strength is nothing compared to God's. Without the Lord's strength I AM weak. We weren't meant to be strong on our own.

After reading that last night. This morning I picked up my Bible and read this:


2 Corinthians 12:5-10
On behalf of this man I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses. Though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

That last line. "For when I am weak, then I am strong." That's so powerful. It's only when we choose to let go of our pride, our "I can do it all" attitude and embrace the fact that we ARE weak and we DO need saving, that Jesus's power is seen through us. 

We can be strong through Him. We can overcome things others think impossible. We can endure and still survive, not because WE are strong, but because HE is strong. 

Paul understood this. He was beaten and jailed for his beliefs. He was, in a sense, 'weak' after what he'd been through. But have you once read any book in the Bible written by him or about him and thought of Paul as weak? 

I sure haven't. No, when I think of someone who's strong, Paul's who I think of. Paul was strong because he trusted the Lord.

Strength looks different in every situation. Sometimes strength IS holding it together when we need to, letting God sustain us. But sometimes, strength is letting ourselves grieve, letting ourselves feel the pain. Then letting it go and moving on. I find the latter is harder then holding it together sometimes. There's no shame in tears. There's no shame in needing help.

God wants us to come to Him. He wants to be our strength. He wants to dry our tears and hold us up when we can't stand. He created us to need Him.

(Disregard the funky formatting. I don't know how to fix it right now. :P)

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! This is soo true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, girl, I love this!
    That verse is one of my favorites, one I have found myself clinging to in the dark days.
    I heard a quote once that said (and I'm totally going to butcher it!) sometimes the strongest, best thing you can do is to let go, to be vulnerable, to be "weak", to let yourself feel emotion and get right down to the dirty, messy parts.
    I am still learning this, and it is a continual struggle. Thank you for the encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the things I struggle most with too. And sometimes relying on God is easier said than done, because there are so many times that people will tell us Jesus is just a crutch. But he's not! He is so much more than that, if only we will let him into our lives.
    About the formatting, in the html section of compose you'll see something like < asp white background >. If you delete that, the white will go away

    ReplyDelete