Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Decisions and Watermelon

Today I have a special guest here to speak with you on the subject of choice making and decision, all that good stuff. Her name is Airamae Berkline. If you've visited that second tab up there, then you might recognize her as one of my charries. Hand her some cookies and some virtual applause because she's pretty excited to do this. She's been bugging me about it for a while now so I finally relented and let her do a minor takeover of my blog for the week. ;)

Airamae: I have NOT been bugging you! And it's YOU who want's the cookies. 
Me: o.0 suuuuure
Airamae: *rolls eyes* 'Cause you'd never just let me guest post because you couldn't come up with anything better. *cough*
Me: What an accusation!
Airamae: *nods* Riiight, didn't think so. *winks*
Me: *pushes her aside* Anyway, lets all hear what Airy has to say in her generous contribution, shall we?
Airamae: *snerks*
Me: *glares* 
***

Airy
"Left or right? Paper or plastic? Rent or buy? These are only a few choices that are presented to us in life. Those are the easier ones. But what about the bigger ones? What about those tough decisions we have to make in life, like where to go to school, who to marry, where to live? It's questions like these that trip people up. And why wouldn't they? These are the choices that will impact our future in a greater way. 

The way we make decisions is based on our personality, beliefs, worldview and upbringing. These past few weeks I've been learning about my life and having to decide between two negative alternatives so it seemed. But the thing I've been learning is this: You can't just hide from the things you don't want to face. They will always be there. It's true. We can't be afraid of making the wrong choice to the point where it cripples us. Gosh, once I stopped feeling sorry for myself I realized that if I didn't make a decision, complacency would choose for me. 

Now I've got to tell you something about bad decisions. I've made them, plenty of them actually and you will too, it's a part of life. We learn from our mistakes, rearrange our lives to fit the new normal, then move on, that's all we can do, dwelling on past mistakes will only hinder your future. And who wants to be held back from the amazing life in store for them? I know I don't. 

I certainly can't say I'm now an expert on making big decision, because I'm not but I do know the importance of weighing your options carefully and seeking the guidance of someone other then yourself. Sometimes it's hard to see the big picture when you're right in the thick of things, but friends and family can help you discern between your options. 

We have the ability to change the world if we only chose to. To step out, to make that decision to be different, to stand up for yourself and your beliefs or someone you love, that's courage and that's hard....but trust me, it's so worth it in the end. A special someone once told me, 'In life you either dive in, or hang back, but it's the ones who've dove head first into a pit of vipers that will change this world.' I laughed when he told me that. Honestly, I thought that was the stupidest thing I'd ever heard. But what if it isn't? What if he meant that in order to change the world, you have to be so grounded in your beliefs, your decision, that'd you'd go to any measure to do it? Maybe the key to making decisions is knowing what we stand for, maybe we have to learn what we're willing to die for before we can chose what we'll live for."

By Airamae Berkline 

***

Let's thank Airy for her words of wisdom and give her some watermelon on your way out, she really does love that stuff. 

Airamae: I do. *nods*
Me: She also thinks she's a bird.
Airamae: *punches me in the arm*
Me: Ow! But you do! You get up at the crack of dawn every morning. 
Airamae: *rolls eyes* And this was important information to share, because...?
Me: *shrugs* It somehow went with the watermelon thing.
Airamae: Riiiiight. I think it's time to say goodbye now. *waves*
Me: Fiiiiine. *closes door*

Thank you all for putting up with Airy and I today, we had fun and I hope you did too. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment